This month has been a big month. From retiring my boyfriend (from his job, not breaking up with him), to having 2 weeks holidays and business gross income still increased!
While it wasn’t a huge increase (4.5%) I’m still calling it a win. My goal is 10% gross income increase, month-on-month which is relatively unheard of in the online/digital product industry. But the fact I had a lot of holidays (in an internet free zone) AND continued making sales daily. That just rocks.
At the bottom of this report I share what has worked well for me recently and what hasn’t.
For regular readers of income reports, scroll down to the report.
WHY DO I SHARE MY INCOME REPORTS?
I follow several income reports like Pat Flynn from Smart Passive Income, Rose Atwater from Rose Bakes, Pinch of Yum, House of Brazen and Making Sense of Cents and there is something about numbers that is sexy, motivational, inspiring and lets me dream bigger. Is it just me?
I read Rose Bakes 2015 income report where she made nearly $37,000 USD for the year from blogging. Well, that knocked my socks off. I showed my boyfriend and talked about it and read and researched. I was hugely inspired.
Later I even had a business mentoring session with Rose and now, a year later, I am so incredibly lucky to call Rose a friend and mentor.
But that feeling of inspiration, motivation and that it is soooo hugely possible this business dream …. Well, I want to share that with others.
BLOGGING IS NOT THE WAY TO FAST MONEY.
At all. We all hear about the $100k launch and whatever else, but I gotta wonder is that real? And how much of that was spent on Facebook advertising?
For me, I’m not going to talk about those pie-high-in-the-sky numbers. Because launches make me want to vomit in my mouth a little bit. And I don’t do webinars. I’m going to talk about the hard work and real numbers that made it possible for me to quit my full-time job.
Because, yes, I worked full time while building up this blog and business.
- August 2014 – $191
- December 2014 – $415
- July 2015 – $732
- November 2015 – $1404
- February 2016 – $1593
It has been hard work. But if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
And it wasn’t a smooth uphill slope. Some months I made $0 minus expenses. A couple of months I made up to $2000-$6000, but those were few and far between.
Gee, if I knew way back then what I now know!
And now? Now I have quit my full time job. Now I work less than 30 hours per week. Now I have replaced my full-time income and in April 2017 I retired my boyfriend! Because that is my dream and big WHY. And you are going to need to hold on for dear life while on this ride.
Imagine a rocket ship or roller coaster. Which do you think the journey or blogging is going to be? A rocket ship that is a skyrocketing success story with little to no work. Like winning the lottery.
Or a roller coaster, like everything else you have experienced in life? (Hint: it is a roller coaster of a ride because it is life.)
This post contains affiliate links.
APRIL 2017 INCOME & TRAFFIC REPORT
- Recurring monthly memberships – $2061 (How I Have Nearly 300 Membership Site Members)
- Cake Business Growth Kit (bundle 8 workshops) sale – $1713.70
- Membership site 1 year deal – $754
- Workshops – $36.70
- Cupcake Business in a Box eBook bundle – $49
One-to-one Mentoring & Consulting
- Consulting/Mentoring clients – $477
- MediaVine – $535.53
- ShareASale – $1103.21 (mostly from Craftsy, see below **)
- Sweet Sticks – $14.86
Total income = $6745 (increase of 9%) Memberships 30% of total incomes. Rest of own products 37% of total income. (I separated 1-year membership to products for this breakdown). One-to-one 7% total income. Ad revenue 9% of total income. Affiliate income 17% of total income.
EXPENSES APRIL 2017
- VA – $532.65
- Libsyn – $20.28 (podcast hosting)
- MemberMouse – $54.28 (membership site for Cake Business School & Blog Business School)
- Siteground – $136.13
- Vimeo Pro – $275.58 (hosting videos)
- GoDaddy – $33.41
- Tailwind app – $57.93 (for scheduling Pinterest pins. See demo here.)
- Affiliate payouts – $120.28 (people promoting membership)
- Fees – $257.62 (PayPal and bank fees)
- ConvertKit – $39.67 (for this website. For Angel Foods website I pay yearly as I pay for 10 months and get 2 free).
Total Expenses = $1527.83
I have paid for a years’ worth of ConvertKit for Angel Foods (email service provider), instead of paying monthly, I bought a year and got 2 months free which is $141.93 per month. See ConvertKit demo here.
Tailwind (Pinterest pinning app) I did the same and bought a years’ worth which averages the cost at $10.93 per month. See Tailwind demo here.
Note – from my gross income I pay myself a wage, pay myself superannuation and pay a mortgage.
Related article: Does Setting Income Goals Really Work?
APRIL 2017 TRAFFIC REPORT
Note – over 98% of my income comes from www.angelfoods.net which is shown above.
HOW I PLAN TO REACH MY INCOME GOALS
Ah, the fun bit! I have set an income goal of $7500 for May. (My stretch goal is $7750 and super stretch is $8000. And yes, I always set stretch and super stretch goals. Why? Because it teaches myself to ask for bigger and also work for bigger. Because it really is possible! Like I said at the beginning I set the goal of 10% growth and I now do that month on month and I wish I had of asked for bigger!)
I will publish my May goals shortly.
So, from $6745to $7500 is 10% growth.
So, when I plan how much I want to reach my income goals, I start with what I know that I will 99% make this month.
- Shareasale – $1000
- Siteground – $100
- Ad revenue – $550
- Memberships – $2000+
- Book + products – $200
- Workshops – $800
- ConvertKit – $100
Equals = $4750.
Now, I stretch myself on what else I can create & sell this month:
- Mastermind group – 2 x groups.Are you interested in joining a SMALL MASTERMIND group?
There will be 4 members total (myself + you + 2 others) and we meet over Skype, monthly for 6 months.Not sure what a mastermind is? Mastermind allows everyone to collaborate to come to a solution of whatever you are struggling with in their business.
Think: lots of group brainstorming and idea-generating discussions focused on each member (everyone takes a turn).
Participation is required (not just sitting and listening)
There will be accountability. (Meaning, we will follow up on each other and what they said they will do between each session.)
I am creating 2 mastermind groups. There are only 3 spots available for each group.
You need to commit to commit to monthly Skype sessions and each member can give availability and majority rules with day/time of sessions (time zones permitting).
This is a paid mastermind and it is 75% off, and you get free lifetime membership to Blog Business School (valued at $197) costing only $495 AUD. Please email me if interested.
Total potential income = $2970
WHAT HAS WORKED WELL FOR ME RECENTLY? WHAT HASN’T?
- Guest bloggers for Angel Foods website, with lots of content going on. While time-consuming, I’m calling it a win.
- Having a ‘sale’ of some description monthly. It accounts for about 1/3 of income.
- Having hottie boyfriend around ALL THE TIME. Pretty much it is a 100 out of 10. It rocks that much.
- Holidays. Having time off and still rocking my business and personal goals.
- Showing patience. Unconditional kindness to people around me. That has made me a lot more calm.
- Dedicated 1 x day per month to each membership site and creating high-quality content
- Hottie boyfriend providing me accountability.
Not working well:
- Not journaling daily. Since disrupting/disruption to the routine with holidays and boyfriend around a lot 😛
- Custody stuff. Cause it sucks giant panda balls. Dealing with self-representing, emails, affidavit and associated stress. Got another court date this Thursday 4 May. Wish me luck!
THERE'S MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM!
Get more juicy + delicious inspiration and advice with occasional emails (plus virtual cupcakes), free tutorials, business tips, some promotional emails with products & services and my $ income reports AND how I earn over $7000 per month from my blog!